Re: [platform-text-dev] spell checking issue in property files

Maybe I was not clear enough: there is only a JDT specific engine so far. There are plans to move general parts to the Platform (see bugzilla for the bug) but that has not yet happened.

Dani

From: Eugen Paraschiv <hanriseldon@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Eclipse Platform Text component developers list <platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22.07.2011 10:32
Subject: Re: [platform-text-dev] spell checking issue in property files

Sure, the consistency of the experience is important as well, but this is a clear cut use case where the defaults are problematic. Would it make more sense to have a JDT specific tab in settings for Spelling (Java-Editor-Spelling or similar) and the general one (General-Editors-Text Editors-Spelling), so that the option could be configured generically (as off) and overridden specifically for Java (as on), where, as you say, makes more sense?
The issue of consistency is important, but so is user experience, and at the end of the day, it's the attention to these little things that make or break the experience. It may take some more change than simply switching of a default (adding this new preference instead of overriding the default), but this use case (where an error in a log4j.properties file went unnoticed in Eclipse yet a colleague spotted it in 2 seconds with IDEA) is an option to improve the experience and focus on these little yet important things.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Eugen.