[platform-text-dev] Patch provided for PR 8009

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the patch. Here are my remarks.

Splitting editor:
Your implementation is in principle independent from the Text component. The only link is the Split Editor action located in AbstractTextEditor. I propose that you remove the action from AbstractTextEditor and turn it into an action contribution of the Platform UI component. The action contribution should be declared in the plugin.xml file. The action could appear, for example, in the Window menu. Having done this, the action would work for any kind of editor not just text editors. Please bundle the action, the changes to the plugin.xml file, and the changes to the workbench page files in a separate patch for the Platform UI component. Please use the Team>Create Patch operation for doing this. Submit the patch for review and discussion to the Platform UI component.

Quick copy/paste:
I propose the following modifications to aline the changes to AbstractTextEditor with the style we use in the Text component: Clearly separate the two roles - source and target - that an editor can play when being involved in the Quick copy/paste action. Choose appropriate names for the methods and fields. Rather than storing the state in static fields, remember the state in the plug-in object. Please have a look at the GotoLastEditPosition action as one example. In the plug-in object, you could remember the editor's selection provider instead of the text editor. This would allow for future support of additional editor types.

Thanks again.
Kai

platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 09/30/2004 06:26:07 PM:

> Hi Simon,
>
> As Kim and Douglas already said, please attach a patch to bug 8009.
> We'll have a look at the patch and provide feedback.
>
> To answer some your questions. Changing the main sources is not a
> bad thing if you want functionality to be available in all
> implementers of a particular kind. Why splitting has not been done
> yet? Splitting is nothing that is specific to text editors. Any GEF
> based editor might want to support it as well. A text independent
> solution is on the investigation list for 3.1. Pioneering in text
> land is ok when we can ensure that we can migrate to the general
> solution later on. This means there may not be API or binary
> contracts imposed by a text only solution that have to be kept even
> after the text only solution has been replaced by a text independentsolution.
>
> Please note, I'm cross posting this to platform-text-dev mailing
> list. This one is for the text component development.
>
> Thanks, Kai

Back to the top