Re: [platform-text-dev] Formatter Deprecations

"IFormatterContent" should read "IContentFormatter"

Kai-Uwe Maetzel/Zurich/IBM@IBMCH
Sent by: platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/24/2004 05:51 PM

Please respond to
platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-text-dev] Formatter Deprecations

The intent is to support them as they are. Porting should not be required. If this does not work in your case, please file a PR.
Please be aware of valid combinations of IFormatterContent implementations and implementations of formatting strategies.

Kai

Scott Fairbrother <scottf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/24/2004 05:13 PM

Please respond to
platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [platform-text-dev] Formatter Deprecations

Hi Kai,

Back to my original question.  Is the intent to support  2.1.x vintage editors in V 3.0 as is or must they be re-written based on the new the new formatting strategy class?  There is no mentio0n in the Eclipse 3.0 Porting guide that indicates that formatters now need to be re-written to subclass ContextBasedFormattingStrategy.

Thanks,
Scott Fairbrother
Eclipse/WebSphere Studio Jumpstart Team
607 Pinewood Dr
Apex , NC 27502

Voice : 919-367-9345  TL:  223-7851

The Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse - http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/product/1,4096,0321159640,00.html?type=PRE
WebSphere Studio - http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/adstudio
Ready for WebSphere Studio partner program - http://www.developer.ibm.com/websphere/ready.html

Kai-Uwe Maetzel <kai-uwe_maetzel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/24/2004 10:50 AM

Please respond to
platform-text-dev

platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-text-dev] Formatter Deprecations

Sorry, Scott, for not asking concrete enough.  How do you set up the formatter in your source viewer configuration? Which implementation of IContentFormatter do you configure with your SQLWordStrategy?

The JavaFormattingStrategy has been converted to a text edit based formatting strategy and thus extends ContextBasedFormattingStrategy.

Thanks, Kai

Scott Fairbrother <scottf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/24/2004 04:17 PM

Please respond to
platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [platform-text-dev] Formatter Deprecations

Hi Kai,

I get a formatter strategy, in my editor configuration that looks like this:

public
class SQLWordStrategy implements IFormattingStrategy, ISQLSyntax {

This looks just like the set up used in org.eclispe.jdt.internal.ui.text..java.JavaFormattingStrategy.

public
class JavaFormattingStrategy implements IFormattingStrategy {

Thanks,
Scott Fairbrother
Eclipse/WebSphere Studio Jumpstart Team
607 Pinewood Dr
Apex , NC 27502

Voice : 919-367-9345  TL:  223-7851

The Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse - http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/product/1,4096,0321159640,00.html?type=PRE
WebSphere Studio - http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/adstudio
Ready for WebSphere Studio partner program - http://www.developer.ibm.com/websphere/ready.html
Kai-Uwe Maetzel <kai-uwe_maetzel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/24/2004 10:05 AM

Please respond to
platform-text-dev

platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-text-dev] Formatter Deprecations

Scott,

If there is breakage it is unintentional.

How do you set up formatting for your viewer/editor? What formatter do you configure with your formatting strategy?

Thanks, Kai

Scott Fairbrother <scottf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/24/2004 03:33 PM

Please respond to
platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-text-dev] Formatter Deprecations

My 2.1.x  Content formatter is broken in V 3.0, M9.

The formatter implements  org.eclipse.jface.text.formatter.IFormattingStrategy#format(String,
 *      boolean, String, int[]).
It does not appear that this method is ever called now.

Is breakage of the 2.1.x style of formatting unintentional?

Thanks,
Scott Fairbrother
Eclipse/WebSphere Studio Jumpstart Team
607 Pinewood Dr
Apex , NC 27502

Voice : 919-367-9345  TL:  223-7851

The Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse - http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/product/1,4096,0321159640,00.html?type=PRE
WebSphere Studio - http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/adstudio
Ready for WebSphere Studio partner program - http://www.developer.ibm.com/websphere/ready.html
Scott Fairbrother/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: platform-text-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/22/2004 12:13 PM

Please respond to
platform-text-dev

platform-text-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-text-dev] Formatter Deprecations

Hi Kai,

I'm reworking my SQL text editor formatter to use ContextBasedFormattingStrategy.  Should the following format method be depricated;  I assumed that the method was valid, however it was never called.

/**

* @see org.eclipse.jface.text.formatter.IFormattingStrategy#format(String,

*      boolean, String, int[])

*/

public String format(String content, boolean isLineStart,

String indentation, int[] positions)

Thanks,
Scott Fairbrother
Eclipse/WebSphere Studio Jumpstart Team