Re: [platform-team-dev] cvs file deletion problem

Filed as bug 110004.

I suspect that the CheckStyle plugin might be holding onto the jar file, since it immediately tries to rebuild the project anytime anything changes. I fiddle with this and let you know if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
John

Michael Valenta wrote:

John,

Could you log a bug for this against Platform CVS. I suspect what is happening is that the remove fails because the file is probably in use by the OS. What is troubling is that the sync info for the file is then lost, causing it to become an outgoing addition.

Michael

*John York <jry@xxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: platform-team-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

19/09/2005 05:00 PM
Please respond to
Generic team support framework

	platform-team-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
	[platform-team-dev] cvs file deletion problem

Hi all, I've just recently upgraded to Eclipse 3.1 and have noticed a
problem when I delete a file in CVS. I was wondering if this is a known
bug? Here's an overview of my setup:

My project has a lib dir in which we keep our jar files checked in (yes,
i know this isn't a great idea). Our project relies on a second project
within our organization. Regularly, we rebuild and replace the second
project jar file. When we do this, we remove the existing file
"jstor-common-20050916.jar" from CVS and then add a new file
"jstor-common-DATE.jar".

Now, we also use the patch mechanism. We create a patch and then apply
it on a developer integration machine. When applying the patch, it shows
that the jar file should be removed, but then it fails to remove
it.(This might be a windows file issue) Regardless, I do whatever I need
to remove the file and then commit the changes to CVS.

Here's where the problem happens. On another developers machine, they
synchronize with the checked in files. This also seems to fail removing
the jar file. Now, however, as soon as this other developer creates a
patch, Eclipse tries to re-checkin the deleted jar file as if they had
added it. I don't see this problem with .java files, so maybe it's just
a binary file problem, or maybe windows is just preventing the file from
being deleted and the synch doesn't show the error.

This had been working fine until we upgraded from Eclipse 3.0.1 to 3.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John