RE: [platform-team-dev] How to handle resource changes in validateEdit?

The obvious question is why does ClearCase change the file timestamp on a checkout if the contents do not change? A checkout should only need to change the read-only bit. Of course, if there is no way to prevent this, then you'll need to work around it. The other question is why does refactoring break. Does refactoring keep track of the timestamp at the beginning of the operation and check it later to make sure the file hasn't been modified by another party? If that is the case, perhaps you can record the timestamp before performing the checkout and reset it back to what it was after, thus removing the need for a refresh local (i.e. the resources plugin uses the timestamp on disk to determine if the file system is out of sync with the resource in Eclipse. if the timestamp is rest to what it was, then the file will still appear to be in-sync).

Michael

"Gunnar Wagenknecht" <G.Wagenknecht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-team-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

21/09/2004 09:39 AM

Please respond to
platform-team-dev

<platform-team-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [platform-team-dev] How to handle resource changes in validateEdit?

At least the modification timestamp of the files changes on every checkout. The content should not change always but I have more problems if I don't perform a IFile#refreshLocal after every checkout (for example, every editor prompts during auto-checkout because the file has changed on the file system).

Gunnar

Re: [platform-team-dev] How to handle resource changes in validateEdit?

Gunnar,

How is the file modifed during the checkout? Are the contents actually changed?  Does the checkout always result in a content change or only in the case where another user has changed the same file? If the file contents has actually changed and it only happens infrequently, I think you would want to veto the refactoring operation anyway since the refactoring may have depended on the previous contents of the file.

Michael

"Gunnar Wagenknecht" <G.Wagenknecht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-team-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

21/09/2004 06:08 AM

Please respond to
platform-team-dev

<platform-team-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-team-dev] How to handle resource changes in validateEdit?

Hi!

We have a problem with developing out Team provider for the ClearCase
plugin. What is the official guideline for resource changes duringin an
validateEdit/validateSave?

Currently I checkout the file from ClearCase and perfom and
IFile#refreshLocal(IResource.DEPTH_ZERO, null) after this because the
files was modified during checkout.

This behavior breaks refactoring operations. Any ideas?

Cu, Gunnar