Re: [platform-team-dev] another sticky problem

Thanks for the info. I had the suspicion that the api doesn't support
it as well.

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Valenta <michael_valenta@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:06:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [platform-team-dev] another sticky problem
To: platform-team-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not the expert in this area but I believe the answer is no.
Typically, the repository provider (or whoever is priming the compare
editor) provides two or three streams (local, base, remote) and the
merge viewer registered for a particular file type picks the diff
algorithm to be used and presents the results visually (e.g. Java).
For CVS, we make sure we do the proper EOL conversions when fetching
remote contents. We generally avoid keyword expansion (i.e. we don't
handle it well;-).

The facilities provided for compare are actually a separate Eclipse
project with it's own mailing list (platform-compare-dev). You may
want to ask this question there since they may know of a means to
accomplish what you are asking.

Michael

 McClain Looney <mlooney@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-team-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

20/09/2004 12:23 PM

Please respond to
 platform-team-dev

To platform-team-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject [platform-team-dev] another sticky problem

Hi,

 Is there an api available for our plugin to provide our own unified
 diff input to the compare system?  We are currently relying on eclipse
 to do the comparison for us, but that has a few major drawbacks:
 spurious diffs generated by EOL conversion, and spurious diffs caused
 by  property string expansion.

 Subversion's diff handles both of these problems natively, all we'd
 want to do is provide the unidiff stream to eclipse somehow.

 McClain Looney
 m@xxxxxxxxxxxx