Re: [platform-swt-dev] Ubuntu 17.10 shows lots of (Eclipse:4358): GLib-CRITICA assertion errors

It isn't just Unity/Gnome that has errors. It has been pretty standard
for as long as I can remember for Gtk to be very noisy. On my Xubuntu
system I have continuous stream of these messages + others like the
following, with no noticeable effect on behaviour:

(Eclipse:2797): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion
'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar
(Eclipse:2797): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkScrolledWindow
0x7fa3f8415e40 without calling
gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the
size to allocate?

In the past the answer was change my theme/window manager. That seems
to normally fix such problems, but does not really solve the problem.

AFAIU this is as much a Gtk design decision as anything else, and it
does not just affect Eclipse:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/505594/how-to-stop-gedit-and-other-programs-from-outputting-gtk-warnings-and-the-like

I commend the SWT maintainers for trying to stay on top of all the
themes and window managers out there.

Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham