Re: [platform-swt-dev] Using 'triaged'keywordinsteadofswt-triaged@xxxxxxxxxxx?

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:30 AM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Keeping the bug status as NEW makes it harder to find new untriaged bugs. One has to use a regex to exclude the keyword.

No, it's actually quite easy, no regex required. We have 2 options, (for example for SWT):

1) Quick search:
a) New/Not-triaged bugs: (observe '-')
     :swt @platform-swt-inbox -!Triaged

b) Triaged bugs

:swt @platform-swt-inbox !Triaged
Inline image 6
(These searches [including columns and sort settings] are bookmarkable btw, so can be linked from a wiki).
Ex: The above search sorts by Target Milestone, then Priority, then Severity
and shows Whiteboard and Keywords in search results).

2) Regular search:
a) New/Not-Triaged
- Classification: Eclipse       Product:Platform     Component:SWT     Status:(NEW|REOPENED)
- Inline image 1
b) Triaged bugs:
- Same as above, except:
Inline image 2

As proof of concept, I created and shared a test-Query that shows Triaged SWT bugs:
(Using Triaged keyword above).
Inline image 3
Inline image 4

People with sufficient Bugzilla rights can see this query in their "Saved Searches" list. If we have agreement, I could request public owned queries to be created for our Platform projects for Triaged and Untriaged bugs. etc..

> There is no need to remove triaged keyword once added.
Yes, it should definitely be kept once added.

Note that a bug can also be assigned to a person but be in the NEW state. We have thousands of those. Many developers take some bugs they plan to work on but only set ASSIGNED when they are actually working on it.

That's ok because it's assigned to a particular individual. I have bugs assigned to me as "NEW" meaning I will work on them eventually, and people can ping me to ask for expectations. Having something assigned to someone gives users a sense of assurance even if the status is "NEW".

What is the user-friendly query that you are looking for?

I'm not sure what you mean by that question. The problem is not in the query, but when bugs say "ASSIGNED" when no one is actually planning to work on it. To the non-eclipse developer (I.e, average Joe), this sets in-appropriate expectations when they look through a bug description.

Just to be clear: I am definitely for getting rid of the additional *-triaged@xxxxxxxxxxx account, because having two inboxes does make a search hard.

Yes, I agree.

Dani

Given the information above about ease of searching for Triaged bugs via Keywords & pre-defined queries; to summarize, I suggest the following:
Inline image 2
- We clean up meta data of incomming bugs, request more info if needed.
- If bug is confirmed and can be worked on, we add "Triaged" keyword and leave status as "NEW"
- (Bug is not reassigned to a "platform-traiged-*" user).
- When we look for new work, we look through bugs that have "Triaged" keyword.
- When someone works on a bug, he/she takes ownership. He/She can set status to "ASSIGNED" if he wants to indicate that he's working on a bug, but leaving as "NEW" is OK also.

(I'd be happy to organize creation of relevant New/Triaged bugzilla search queries, document the process etc...).

As proof of concept, I've typed up an (Tentative) SWT wiki Triage wiki page:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/SWT/Devel/Triage

Given the above, would this work for everyone?

Thank you

Back to the top