Re: [platform-swt-dev] Using 'triaged' keywordinsteadofswt-triaged@xxxxxxxxxxx?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are already 600+ bugs with the "Triaged" keyword in the keyword list.
Please... In the Eclipse top-level project there are exactly 6 bugs with that keyword and guess who has set it?

Yields 676 bugs.
Again, I"m not introducing a new keyword to our Bugzilla instance, but just suggesting to make use of what's already there.

> Can you explain why you prefer to use "Assigned" status to mean triaged instead of using the existing "Triaged" keyword?
Because it's the process we use for over 15 years.

"Assignee@Inbox AND status=ASSIGNED" was not exclusively used for 15 years by all projects. At least in SWT, the process has been to assign bugs to a "triaged-" and leave bugs as "NEW" user.
Where as there are only 56 bugs on swt-platform-inbox with status ASSIGNED.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Gtk2 has been around for 15 years. But now people are moving on to Gtk3.

Further, if you look at the official Bugaillz wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugzilla
"Assigned" status is only used when a developer takes possession:
Inline image 2

Other bugzilla instances follow this method. I think we should too.

So we're actually miss-using ASSIGNED status if a developer is not actually taking possession of a bug.

Because it's faster to just assign a bug than fiddling with the keyword field.

Adding "Triaged" keyword requires 2 actions: you to type "t" (or "tr") and select "Triaged" from list:

Inline image 1
There is no need to remove triaged keyword once added.
Setting Status to "Assigned" also requires 2 actions: Click on status -> assigned.
Keyword "triaged" can be added or removed in bulk and Keywords can be shown in query results.
So I don't see a difference in usability besides a few simple adjustments to one's workflow.

You could argue that it's marginally simpler to use "Assigned" status for developers, but I think we should prioritize user friendliness and global consistency over personal preference.

Back to the top