Re: [platform-swt-dev] swt for other programming languages

Well, SWT builds on underlying gui's of the native platform.

Windows -> Win32 gui kit
OS X -> Cocoa
Linux -> Gtk.

It makes native calls to each kit based on platform. Like the factory pattern.

In general, people don't do a second level of redirection afik:
"Perl -> Java -> Native" code would probably be pretty in-efficient from a run-time perspective, and debugging that would be vvvveeeerryy hard.

Instead, high level languages like perl or python typically have their own gui bindings. For example for Pyhon there are a lot of gui toolkits, many of which are cross-platform:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
http://insights.dice.com/2014/11/26/5-top-python-guis-for-2015/

So usually you'd either use Java+SWT, or <high level language>+Some gui binding.

Hope it helps.