Re: [platform-swt-dev] CSS theming vs Chromium embed

The Chromium SWT add-on should absolutely bundle Chromium - that's the best guarantee that the browser capabilities will be consistent across platforms, and the best user experience.  Every app on your phone that uses any VM bundles the VM, and many bundle a browser as well.  Desktops have more disk than a phone, so it's hard to justify trading stability for a slimmer disk profile than a phone app.

Regarding IP, the following companies have launched a product on top of Electron: Slack, Microsoft, Basecamp, Brave, Nylas - dozens of others, open and closed source.  If our goal is to ensure corporate friendly licensing, clearly there's a path which enables that.

Ned Twigg
Lead Software Architect, DiffPlug LLC
540-336-8043
340 S Lemon Ave #3433, Walnut, CA 91789

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Regarding SWT Chromium - there are constraints that downloading Eclipse SWT components should work out of the box without requireing installing additional software and Chromium is not available on any OS by default.
>
> I would like to point out that this is entirely a self-imposed constraint, and could be modified if desired. SWT first shipped 15 years ago. Perhaps circumstances have changed.

I was wondering about that too. Any app that is based on Electron does not require installation of Chromium or Node.js. It just includes it. Chromium itself is New BSD. Wikipedia says that some parts are LGPL. I don't know if those are required for embedding Chromium in an SWT AddOn.

-Gunnar