Re: [platform-swt-dev] Providing SWT themeable scrollbars (onWindows)

>> 1a. If you think it should be supported, do you think it's better to have
>> "multiple methods" or a single method with a "CSS string"?
>
> Hard to say, but I think Alex plans the CSS support anyway for SWT, in
> this case a CSS string should be reused.

The SWT is a reusable standalone component which doesn’t have any external dependencies. The CSS support in Eclipse 4 brings in a lot of baggage:

* org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt ->
|- org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.core ->
|- org.apache.batik.css ->
\- org.apache.batik.util ->
 \- org.apache.batik.util.gui ->
| - org.w3.dom.svg ->
\- org.w3.dom.smil ->
  \- org.w3.dom.events
|- org.w3.css.sac

Partly that’s because of the Batik parser (why does a parser depend on a GUI?) but in order to maintain SWT to be a single dependency you’d need to in-line whatever CSS parsing support was required in order to theme it. And that probably doesn’t fit in with the goal of making SWT lightweight and able to run on small devices, which has been a goal in the past.

Alex

Back to the top