Re: [platform-swt-dev] Providing SWT themeable scrollbars (onWindows)

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Christian Campo <christian.campo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From the outside watching this thread I believe most people send warnings or saw a lot of problems in your approach. At least one liked the approach to make styled scrollbars happen but didnt really endorse your approach.

I personally dont think a vote is necessary.

I would recommend to you to find an approach that does not require to change the SWT code base but rather can be added on top (like Nebula is added on top of SWT).

Adding an API that is only implemented on one platform is a non-starter. (in my experience)

And my experience comes from a number of SWT bug reports from some years ago (that are still open) that just wanted classes to be no longer „final“ which was refused and from creating a SWT/Qt port that didnt get much love in the SWT community for a number of reasons that I can understand actually.

SWT very much endorses the idea of having the same API and the same behaviour on all supported platforms. 98 % is in all cases known to me not good enough. (achieving that requires a maximum effort but has a number of advantages….)

but that is ust my 2 cents and you can of course do a vote anyway…… I really like the fact that you are trying to move SWT forward…..
christian

​Hi Christian,

Thanks for the feedback... I really think that in the end I may have to hack some other codebase and not SWT, even though I think SWT is the right place for it to be... for instance, the tree on windows is only usable because I did changes on the platform ui to add a painter which removed the native decoration and drew a non-native decoration with the expanded state over it... it clearly should've been done in SWT, which has an unusable tree with a dark background, so, this time around I tried to do what I think is the right thing first (especially because doing it from the outside requires much more hacking), but I'm prepared to do it from the outside too (in the end, users won't notice the difference anyways).

Best Regards,

Fabio

Back to the top