Re: [platform-swt-dev] Providing SWT themeable scrollbars (onWindows)

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> users find theming MUCH more important than being 100% compatible with what the system offers

Not if they're blind and can't use the scrollbar. Not if the scrollbar is in the wrong place for the language they use.

I'm sorry, but there are no shortcuts here. Making it work properly has to come first.

Well, as I said, if they're blind they'll just keep on using the native one
​ (they definitely won't care about any theming) -- and same goes if the quirk is too big for them to support (the native approach won't disappear)... anyways, I'm not even sure what exactly are we discussing, as I agree those concerns should be addressed in the implementation and the design I proposed should support it (at least for the StyledText).

So, what I'm interested and still haven't gotten feedback is whether a pull request with the theoretical approach I outlined for the StyledText would be accepted (and sure, provided that it does work properly even on uncommon scenarios -- I'm pretty sure that something that doesn't work wouldn't be accepted anyways).

Another thing to note is that the work is proposed to be be done in steps (the first one will be the StyledText).​

Regarding the Tree/Table, I'm still studying a proper approach as I'm aware that the one I had proposed won't work properly (if the worse comes to worse, we'd need to do what modern UI frameworks do, reimplementing much more and delegating less to the platform -- and yes, I'm aware that this is a ton of work for SWT to catch up with modern UI frameworks, so, I'm still studying to see if there's a better approach I can come up with...).

​Best Regards,

Fabio​

Back to the top