[platform-swt-dev] SWT test cases

Hi everyone,
I would like to start the process of improving SWT test cases.
So let me start with easy things first:
* junitGen - I think it's totally useless nowadays and it would be better to remove it and rely on third party tools like moreUnit for generation of tests.
* remove main methods from test cases - I think they are useless too and just clutter the codebase. It's easy enough to run test cases without them too.
* review suite/runTests/methodNames - this looks like reimplementing junit functionality and is candidate for removal too
* remove all empty or warnUnimpl tests - from total number of ~5000 test cases there are 700+ with warnUnimpl, there are even classes with all the previous infrastructure, for the sake of one test method which itself is plain not implemented, they should be gone too. Seeing all these tests gives false assumption that the test cases cover many things more things than they actually do. Having a clean picture would help understanding what is tested and what not. Removing these test methods wouldn't be a loss at all because using JUnit 4.x features is what should come next.

This is what I consider Step 1. Step 2 would include things like:
* make tests run as part of gerrit verification job
* fix and enable as much as possible of the commented(not run) suites
* properly group suites - and reduce the platform specific ones by using Ignore/assume and friends to make tests more predictable themself.
* get coverage report to measure tests state.

Most of the things can be done in parallel or any order but I find it disturbing fixing things that look so badly outdated.
Do you agree with my plan? Any questions, critics, objections, etc.?
Also please feel free to help with the effort.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team

Back to the top