From:        Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        07/11/2013 10:12 AM
Subject:        [platform-swt-dev] Luna SWT plan
Sent by:        platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone,
Is there some plan for Luna SWT already?
Few questions that bother me are:
* What will be the minimum GTK version supported? It's 2.6 now but I hope we are going to phase out GTK 2.x each year a bit aka make it clear that e.g. 2.8/2.10 will be the minimum supported version. Moving to 2.10 will allow few enhancements like use GtkButton built-in image support, Link on top GtkLinkButton and significant simplification in areas like printing and tray. Probably there are others but this is just what I spotted from quick look. I know I can do it now with dynamic checks for version but this just makes the code harder to debug plus the additional maintenance cost of different code paths. What do you think?
* Is SWT going to follow the majority of projects to move to Java-1.5 BREE as a min version?
* Are there any plans for flipping the flag from GTK 2 to GTK 3 by default?

I know it's mostly GTK stuff but this is my area.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team