Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:33 PM
To: Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list.
Subject: [platform-swt-dev] SWT Mac issue: CALayers

Hi all,

I had discussions with Scott Kovatch some time ago about an issue
related to Flash in a Browser in an applet on Mac.

Scott Kovatch wrote this:
"If you try to display a page with Flash content (Flash 10.1 or later)
in the Browser widget inside an applet the Flash content only draws
when the applet is dragged out of the web page. This is because Flash
is using CALayers for its drawing. I haven't found a way to compensate
for this in SWT, or see if there even is a way to do it.
Recent Mac Java builds will let you obtain a CALayer instead of an
NSView, which is how we normally parent the embedded shell.  Using
that to back the NSView might be a possible solution."

Scott changed job and I don't think there was any progress since then.
There is a somewhat related bug (
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=189242 ) which
contains my original test case. It is marked resolved/fixed, though
the last comment mentions the test case still does not work as
expected.

Is this issue "officially" known? Is the Bugzilla entry mentioned
above enough? Or is there a specific bug on this, and if not should I
open a new Bugzilla entry? Are there any plans based on earlier
discussions on this list or those discussions to fix CA-based browser
plugins?
And is there anything I can do to help, or someone from the SWT dev
team with whom I could interact to troubleshoot, debug, etc.?

Note that this bug prevents deployment of a browser-based (applet)
solution in which users position Flash animation in an editor (among
other things). This is a very serious issue for the affected company
as you can guess.

Cheers,
-Christopher