Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT libraries on 64-bit JVM

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 5:41 AM, Martin Hare Robertson <mchr3k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Marc,

The bitness of the kernel is certainly decoupled from the bitness of the JVM. However, on my OSX machine I have a 32 bit kernel and a JVM which by default starts in 64 bit mode. If I try to use the 64 bit OSX SWT jar with the 64 bit JVM I get an UnsatisfiedLinkError. However, when I try to use the 32 bit OSX SWT jar and specify "-d32" to force the JVM to run in 32 bit mode everything works fine.

I have not seen this: I regularly boot into a 32 bit kernel deliberately on a variety of machines (I have an especially funky .kext that I haven't ported to 64 bit yet) and run 64bit VM with a 64bit SWT.jar and occasionally a 32bit VM with a 32bit SWT.jar. I have only ever seen ULE's when the bitness of the VM and the native libraries inside SWT.jar don't match, and I've never seen any relationship between kernel bitness and any constraints in user space.

My assumption was that the 64 bit OSX SWT jar couldn't be loaded by the 64 bit JVM because I am running a 32 bit kernel. Do you think this is wrong?

It sounds wrong and it contradicts my experience. I have a 64bit/cocoa Eclipse open right now on a 32bit kernel.

Currently 10.6.7 and 1.6.0_25; but I've been doing this for a while now.

Marc.

Back to the top