Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT browser

The fact that the method is "doubleValue" makes me think it's something related to autoboxing.

McQ.

Inactive hide details for Grant Gayed---2011/02/11 10:35:54---Hi Dermot,Grant Gayed---2011/02/11 10:35:54---Hi Dermot,

Grant Gayed/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

2011/02/11 10:35

Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT browser

Hi Dermot,

#1 - I don't see this, but our cases may be different. Behaviours like this should be consistent across the Browser implementations, so please log a report for this and provide a means of reproducing the error. You can probably just use http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/viewvc.cgi/org.eclipse.swt.snippets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet128.java?view=co and specify a specific url to navigate to initially.

#2 - Like Scott said, this is very strange. If you are able to make a reproducible case of it then please log a bug. Without a case that can be reproduced here it will be impossible to fix this, as I've never heard of it before.

#3 - Keyboard focus generally works well in Browsers, but it's possible that the use of AWT in your context is causing some confusion. Again, please log a report with a snippet that shows the problem.

#4 and #5 - See http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#browserapplets to start. The WebKit-based Browser on OS X disables applets because the Java plug-in's attempt to launch a JVM to run the applet collides with the JVM that's already running SWT/Eclipse, and crashes. You'll notice in the FAQ that there are some specific contexts where a Browser will display applets, but what differentiates these contexts is that they always launch the JVM for running the applet out-of-process, which avoids the JVM collision that occurs otherwise.

Regarding Browser.getWebBrowser() returning something from WebKit, this is not something we would do because we don't expose objects without well-defined API. WebBrowser subclasses utilized by Browser are internal implementation, and do not expose public methods that are not already accessible indirectly via Browser API.

Grant

"Dermot Doherty" <dermot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/02/2011 09:21 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT browser

Thanks Scott. Yes, lots of good info here.

#4 - SWT WebKit disabling Java - It would be good to look into removing that
for the Mac Cocoa WebKit implementation and also the Windows WebKit
implementation. I tested a simple applet on Windows WebKit and Mac WebKit
and yes, without the Java being enabled, applets do not work. I suspect that
applets should work, given that applets work in Mac Safari which uses the
same Cocoa based WebKit. Applets also work in Windows Safari, so technically
applets should work in the Windows SWT WebKit browser also.

I am not sure if this is possible, but would it be possible to return a
handle on the WebKit object when calling Browser.getWebBrowser() from a
WebKit style Browser widget, just as calling Browser.getWebBrowser() returns
a handle on the JavaXPCOM nsIWebBrowser object when using Mozilla.

Browser.getWebBrowser() returns Object, so that object could be the
nsiWebBrowser object or the WebKit object depending on the browser style.

Something like this for Mozilla:

      nsIWebBrowser webBrowser = (nsIWebBrowser)browser.getWebBrowser();

and this for WebKit:

      WebKit webBrowser = (WebKit)browser.getWebBrowser();

It would be nice to get a handle on that WebKit object to take advantage of
more in-depth browser features (like enabling/disabling Java as per a users
preference).

Dermot