Re: [platform-swt-dev] Pivot/SWT

Hi Silenio,

I had a quick look at your demos. Nice work!

Thanks!

We would be interested in the port from a diffrent view: it would be a great test for SWT graphics. Please let us know of any issues you may find. The browser integration is indeed very challenging. You might be able to use the SWT_AWT bridge for this.

In the scenario I am envisioning, we would swap out AWT and replace it with SWT for all rendering, thus eliminating any dependency on AWT and making it much easier to build and integrate Pivot applications within the Eclipse framework. This is certainly doable, and I could probably put together a proof of concept with a few components fairly quickly. However, porting all of our component skins to SWT will obviously take longer.

I guess what I am asking is - do you think there would be any interest in the Eclipse community in building Eclipse plugins or RCP apps using Pivot? I recognize that, though they are both UI toolkits, Pivot and SWT have slightly different objectives: SWT focuses on providing a fast, efficient Java binding to the native platform UI, and Pivot defines a cross-platform L&F that is the same across all operating systems and devices.

This could be viewed as a simple difference in philosophy, or it could be seen as an opportunity to collaborate - these approaches, while distinct, are not mutually exclusive, and may actually complement each other.

What do you think?  :-)

Greg

Back to the top