Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT_AWT on Mac, first impressions

I will reopen bug 268687 and try a different fix.

Silenio

From: Scott Kovatch <skovatch@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/29/2009 05:44 PM
Subject: Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT_AWT on Mac, first impressions
Sent by: platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On 9/29/09 5:51 AM, "Christopher Deckers" <chrriis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have more information regarding a nasty issue that a developer who
> is helping me with testing has found. Here is what he has to say:
>
> "
> I had the best results with the J2SE 5.0 64bits (the Mac Mini is a 64
> bits machine) which is:
> java version "1.5.0_20"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_20-b02-315)
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_20-141, mixed mode)
>
> At least I could give the focus to the native browser, which is not
> the case when using the latest Java SE 6 64bits which is:
> java version "1.6.0_15"
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03-226)
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02-92, mixed mode)
>
> To click on a button or link in the browser you have to double-click,
> and input fields are not usable at all.
> "
>
> So it seems the browser is unusable under Java 6 because of this focus
> issue. Would it be linked to the embedded Shell not transfering the
> focus issue you mentioned?

I figured out the problem -- it's got nothing to do with transfer of focus.

The fix for 268687 is tripping us up here.  On Java 6 in Leopard we are
getting back a bundle identifier ("com.apple.javajdk16.cmd") so we are not
making the OS call to convert to a foreground application.  Java 5 works
fine.

It's interesting that this doesn't happen on Snow Leopard, but given the
craziness of how /usr/bin/java figures out which binary of java to launch,
I'm not entirely surprised.

So, for now, stick with Java 5 until we can find a new fix for 268687.

-- Scott

Scott Kovatch
Flex Engineering
Adobe Systems, Inc.
skovatch@xxxxxxxxx

I am Scott Kovatch, and I approved this message.