Re: [platform-swt-dev] Cocoa SWT_AWT issues, and a new API proposal

Hi Scott,

I just had a look at
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools/msg09000.html and
it is not a standard case: Swing components are manipulated outside of
the EDT. Also, Snipet 157 is an applet, which is not the most
important test case.

> - Creating a Display from the AWT event dispatch thread causes the EDT
> to be associated with the Display.

The standard case probably looks like this:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=147590

A few notes: display is created in the main method, as recommended by
SWT. The Swing UI is created in the EDT, as recommended by AWT/Swing.

> - There are some operations that must happen on the AppKit thread,
> like resizing.

I am not sure I understand enough the various threads that we have to
cope with on the Cocoa. Is AppKit the main thread/SWT event thread?

> Along those lines, WebKit does NOT like to be used anywhere other than
> the AppKit thread.  Right now we crash if we try to make an SWT
> Browser from the AWT thread.

Unless I misunderstand something, this is not the way to use it: SWT
has its thread (the main thread) and Swing has the EDT.

Let me know if I can be of any help with test cases and such things.

-Christopher

Back to the top