Re: [platform-swt-dev] Re: swt qt porting

Hi,

You posted your question on the weekend and most SWT committers are
working in Canada so they haven't had a chance to reply.

Porting SWT to another platform is not a trivial task (I guess the
hardest things are things like GC, Virtual-Tables/Trees) and you already
said that you are not sure you have enough time. Do you really need
this? What's the purpose of the port?

If you only want to write datacentric UIs it might be easier to only
port a small subset of widgets and their APIs. We have done this in
UFacekit [1] with great success. If the API provided by UFacekit is
enough to fullfill your targets maybe you want to provide a port for it?

Still I don't want to stop you from doing porting QT and others could
give you pointers. One thing QT-Jambi and SWT differ a lot is that
QT-Jmabi's clean up relies on Java's Object-Lifecycle whereas SWT
requires manual clean up which ensure maximum flexibility and performance.

I've yesterday checked in the first QT-Observables so a QT port is
already on our list but maybe our API is not enough for you and you
really need a full SWT-QT-Port but then I would use the native bridge
and not the QT-Jambi in between ;-)

Tom

[1]http://wiki.eclipse.org/Incubator/Platform/UFacekit