[platform-swt-dev] Drag and drop update

Title: Drag and drop update
Hi there,

Once CVS starts cooperating a bit more, I plan to check in the DND work for Cocoa. Here’s where it stands:

-- I compared against the Carbon version and verified that the identical stream of events and data are generated in the DNDExample for all controls in the example.
-- HTML, RTF, Text, and URLTransfers continue to work as they did before. I cleaned up URLTransfer a bit so it encodes the string in javaToNative to be something that URLWithString will accept.
-- Key modifiers change the cursor image as discussed earlier on the list, and follow Cocoa conventions. It’s only in the 32-bit version; not sure what we will do in 64-bit yet, but we’re not the only ones in this situation.
-- Caller-provided images for the drag should be working; I had to fake this a bit to test it. When I have some time I’ll modify the DND example to allow for testing a custom image in the drag.

At this point I’m aware of only one known problem. Cocoa apps don’t have a way to provide a list of files to the Finder using HFSFlavors like you have in Carbon. Instead, you place an NSArray of file names on the dragging clipboard with a flavor of NSFilenamesPboardType. Other Cocoa-based apps can understand that format, and I verified it works, but the Finder and other Carbon apps do not, so they don’t recognize the drag data. I don’t know what functionality is expected of FileTransfer across platforms, so I don’t know if the Carbon behavior was accidental or deliberate. Cocoa lets you do HFS promise file drags, but I don’t think that’s the same thing. I’ll do what I can to follow up with folks at Apple.

I have to tend to some problems on my main project, so it may be a day or two before I move on to something new. Unless you want me to look at something else, I can start trying to understand accessibility.

Scott

Scott Kovatch
Flex Engineering
Adobe Systems, Inc.
skovatch@xxxxxxxxx

I am Scott Kovatch, and I approved this message.

Back to the top