Re: [platform-swt-dev] Reporting for duty....

On 8/27/08 12:54 PM, "Steve Northover" <Steve_Northover@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just like the other SWT committers, I'd like you to watch changes to the
> toolkit and notify us of anything bogus you see.  Even if you don't understand
> the code, give it a quick once over check for leaks, null pointers and other
> obvious problems.  There is no ego here.  We only care about moving from one
> good state to another by "never letting bogus code in".  This includes any
> line of code that "you don't know what it is doing".  It's a funny thing to
> say, but people write too much code and this can be deadly.  One extra
> unneccessary operating system call can be a killer.  Once the code gets in and
> causes a problem, people are afraid to delete it because they don't know what
> it does.

How do I watch commits? I think I need to modify something in the CVSROOT
directory, no?

> Here is a quick summary of the status port by component.  It's a brain dump
> from looking at the code (not complete by any means).  All of these items
> deserve bug reports but sometimes we are just fixing them as we see them.  I
> would suggest that you always have a bug report for anything you are working
> on.  That way, you get credit for the fix and I know what you are working on
> (I am team lead after all).  Never be stuck on something.  If you are not
> making progress and stuck on something dumb, contact us.  We use Bugzilla for
> almost everything.  It's a great way to capture the discussion, code fragments
> and all information about a topic.  The list is fine, but I like Bugzilla way
> better.

Based on my AWT experience, my strongest areas right now are:

-- Menus
-- General app startup (setting up the menu bar from the nib, getting ready
for event delivery, etc.)
-- Input method and key events
-- Interoperability with Carbon (aka SWT/AWT)

> 7) accessibility:
> * not implemented
>
> 8) awt:
> * has code, but it does not work (hangs)
> * bugs

> I suggest that you enter "not implemented" bugs for Accessibility, DND and AWT
> and start working in those areas (if there already, take ownership).  If you
> agree, you own those packages and will be responsible for their implementation
> and fixing bugs as they come up.  Put me on the CC, and I will add people who
> know about the area.  For example, Carolyn Macleod owns accessibility,
> understands the design and will help you out with any issues.  Once these
> packages have been implemented, we'll see about more work.  We're working on
> the port too so check Bugzilla to see what is going on and ask on this list.

The SWT/AWT bridge seems like as good a place as any to start. It's all
still freshest in my mind.  After that I can look into drag and drop.

> NOTE: We are all aiming to make the port *early access* for Eclipse 3.5 M2.
> At that point, the community will help us with the testing.  I would suggest
> that as soon as a downloadable build is available, you get people from Adobe
> other than yourself to hammer on the port and enter bugs.

Grant's earlier comment seemed to indicate 3.5 M2 is scheduled for (late)
September.  Is that about right? Given enough advance time, I think (maybe
hope is a better word) we can get one extra resource for testing when we hit
that point.

Scott

Back to the top