Re: [platform-swt-dev] Reporting for duty....

Hey Scott!

The port is progressing quite well.  It's out of the prototype stage but not yet production quality.  My guess is that it will take the entire Eclipse 3.5 cycle to implement the missing components and hammer out all the details.  I know you had experience with this before.  Just because a widget comes up and draws, doesn't mean that the work is done.  Heck, we got the ControlExample to come up hacking for a week at Apple, but the code was utter crap.

So, the strategy now is to progress from crap to quality.  The idea is that when you go in and fix an area, we're not longer cutting corners to make something come up.  Instead, we're spending the time to fix it right.  Before moving on, anything that we can't be implemented for some reason must be marked clearly with a //TODO.  Please enter bug reports for anything you find.

Just like the other SWT committers, I'd like you to watch changes to the toolkit and notify us of anything bogus you see.  Even if you don't understand the code, give it a quick once over check for leaks, null pointers and other obvious problems.  There is no ego here.  We only care about moving from one good state to another by "never letting bogus code in".  This includes any line of code that "you don't know what it is doing".  It's a funny thing to say, but people write too much code and this can be deadly.  One extra unneccessary operating system call can be a killer.  Once the code gets in and causes a problem, people are afraid to delete it because they don't know what it does.

A big thing to watch out for is visiblity.  Don't make classes or methods public or protected unless they are API and available on all platforms.  The rule is to use only default, protected or package visibility and access fields directly.  We use Eclipse tools rather than setters and getters to see who is modifying a field.

Here is a quick summary of the status port by component.  It's a brain dump from looking at the code (not complete by any means).  All of these items deserve bug reports but sometimes we are just fixing them as we see them.  I would suggest that you always have a bug report for anything you are working on.  That way, you get credit for the fix and I know what you are working on (I am team lead after all).  Never be stuck on something.  If you are not making progress and stuck on something dumb, contact us.  We use Bugzilla for almost everything.  It's a great way to capture the discussion, code fragments and all information about a topic.  The list is fine, but I like Bugzilla way better.

1) widgets:
* custom draw in table/tree
* modality
* small font/focus ring
* menu accelerators (action and text), menu arm
* cursor on grab
* image in checkbox and radio
* background/background image
* font and foreground
* verify / modify
* SWT.DragDectect and API
* region in control
* print()
* setRedraw()
* scroll/paint/update
* help mouse disappears
* tooltip wrong border
* default button
* default selection and text/table/tree
* SWT.Settings
* more bugs ...

2) graphics:
* non UI thread
* Image.setBackground()
* GC.copyArea
* drawText flags
* wait cursor and others
* textlayout boxes, objects, default foreground, bidi
* gradient patterns
* regions should use HIShape instead of QuickDraw
* more bugs ...

3) program:
* done, not tested

4) clipboard:
* done, not tested

5) dnd:
* not implemented
* only transfer done from clipboard

6) printing:
* missing resolution
* bugs

7) accessibility:
* not implemented

8) awt:
* has code, but it does not work (hangs)
* bugs

9) browser:
* done, not tested

10) mozilla:
* done, not tested

11) opengl:
* getGLData() not implemented
* constructor options not implemented
* bugs

12) internationalization:
* ime korean not working
* mirroring not done
* bugs ...

13) 64-bit:
* runs but not tested
* needs PI generator work

14) theme:
* not done (but not API)

I suggest that you enter "not implemented" bugs for Accessibility, DND and AWT and start working in those areas (if there already, take ownership).  If you agree, you own those packages and will be responsible for their implementation and fixing bugs as they come up.  Put me on the CC, and I will add people who know about the area.  For example, Carolyn Macleod owns accessibility, understands the design and will help you out with any issues.  Once these packages have been implemented, we'll see about more work.  We're working on the port too so check Bugzilla to see what is going on and ask on this list.

The first thing that will happen to you once you start working is that you will need to make an operating system call and the PI (Platform Interface) won't have it.  At that point, you will ask this list "How do I generate the Platform Interface?".  See http://www.eclipse.org/swt/jnigen.php but the PI gets hacked for every new platform and programming language and cocoa and Objective-C are no different.  The good news is that that hacking has already been done, but the user interface is different from the one on the page.

NOTE: We are all aiming to make the port *early access* for Eclipse 3.5 M2.  At that point, the community will help us with the testing.  I would suggest that as soon as a downloadable build is available, you get people from Adobe other than yourself to hammer on the port and enter bugs.

Good luck and don't be stuck!

Steve

Scott Kovatch <skovatch@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/27/2008 01:41 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list."        <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-swt-dev] Reporting for duty....

Hi,

As promised, I'm ready to start working on the SWT cocoa port full time.
I'm available full-time from now until March 1, when we expect to move our
product to 3.5. At that point I will likely be switching between dealing
with 3.5 adoption issues and remaining Cocoa port bugs, but that's a long
way off.

Is there any area in particular you want me to start looking at?  I updated
my CVS tree earlier this week and things are starting to look good!

I hope to pull in one or two more Adobe people to help out -- I'm working
that out with my management.

Scott

Scott Kovatch
Adobe Systems Inc.
Flex Engineering
skovatch@xxxxxxxxx

I am Scott Kovatch, and I approved this message.