[platform-swt-dev] Continuous screen and input capturing

Hello!

I thought about implementation of VNC system and Remote Framebuffer
protocol for ECF framework, as part of this year Google Summer of
Code.
Apart from VNC implementation - viewer, I wonder is it possible to
create VNC server implementation using SWT. I've seen that it is
possible to do a screenshot from SWT. The naive implementation of a
VNC server would do periodical screenshoting and checking for
differences, but such solution would be probably unusable, because of
its performance.

I wonder is it possible  to register capturing mechanism (listener for
redraw event) that will allow creation of some software framebuffer
efficiently? The role of such part would be keeping copy of current
screen state, looking for differences and informing RFB protocol impl.
about changes. What interests me mostly, is it possible to do it for a
whole desktop, and also to grab input from mouse/keyboard, produce
mouse/keyboard events for a whole desktop, all even in case of lost
focus from SWT application?
All these things are probably possible at C/C++ system-specific API.
SWT uses such API throught JNI, but I don't know are API parts
allowing such caputring exposed - accessible from SWT application?

Remy Chi Jian Suen from ECF, has just answered me that some of these
may be possible by registering through Display#addListener or
#addFilter. This looks interesting, but does it meet all my
requirements?

If it's not possible for a whole desktop is such mechanism applicable
for allowing remote control over Eclipse instance (or its component)?

Thanks for some help,
--
Marek Zawirski / zawir
marek.zawirski@xxxxxxxxx