Re: [albireo-dev] Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT_AWT bridge enhancements for dual-process approaches

>  The multiple
>  event thread model is what we are working on now

This was the designed of DJ NativeSwing until I faced several
unsolvable problems.

> and we've also
>  discussed merging the SWT and AWT event threads (a single event thread
>  model).

This is one approach I use in SWTSwing (but not in the context of
mixing native SWT and Swing, since I made SWT using Swing). It is
interesting to see that similar discussions took place...

> Your approach sounds like a possible third alternative that we
>  haven't discussed until now.
>
>  It seems to me that the dual process model would be most attractive if
>  there are significant, unsolvable problems with the multi-threaded model
>  (because there are costs associated with firing up multiple VMs and
>  using serialization, etc). This is a hard question to answer right now.

Well, placing SWT in Swing is not as well supported as placing Swing
in SWT. I pushed the bridge to its limits, and faced many issues.
Several users sent me various scenarios that had problems... All these
got fixed when I moved to the dual-process approach.
I understand there is a cost, and I haven't decided to move to this
dual-process approach without carefully evaluating other
possibilities.

Right now, all I care about is that it is the only solution I know of
that is stable, and I wish it was using official APIs, which is the
original intent of this discussion.

Regarding the Albireo project and if you are interested, I could
provide my code for the multi UI thread approach before I switched to
the dual-process, and the dual-process code that I have now which will
be part of my next release.

I think I will open a Bugzilla entry to discuss those enhancements, as
you suggested.

-Christopher

Back to the top