Re: [platform-swt-dev] Information on starting a new port

We don't port very often so there isn't an offical process.  Usually, we will start with a platform that the new platform is most similar to and delete the code we don't want.

"Christopher Deckers" <chrriis@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/21/2007 03:03 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list."        <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-swt-dev] Information on starting a new port

Hi Calman,

> Does anyone know if there is any information available on the most efficient
> way to start a new port?

I don't know of any though maybe this has changed.

> Are there any specific classes that would be a better starting point than
> others? Would Display and Shell be the place to start, or is something else
> better?

It all depends on the type of port you are doing. For SWTSwing, the
Display class is of real importance for example, but for some other
ports it is just a mapping of what the OS allows to do.
I would say that the first thing to do is to get the source tree
right, and to know how to configure the build path and to plug your
sources. Indeed, some parts of SWT are common accross the ports, and
some other are port specific.
There are also the emulated widgets: you don't have to implement
everything for a start, and can rely on some of the emulated wigets so
that you can code the widgets that are less complicated first (and
thus get a feel for how to code your port). Enabling/disabling the
emulated widgets source code is just some configuration of the build
path.

Another advice concerning the source tree: target a specific version
of SWT. When you check out the code of SWT, use that version and not
the latest.

If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Cheers,
-Christopher