Re: [platform-swt-dev] Fwd: GTK

Here's more info on what SWT is: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/

If you are serious about developing an Eclipse plugin for any programming language, you might want to start by talking to the CDE people, who developed the C language eclipse plugin.
Implementing a programming language plugin is a huge undertaking, and you need to think about many issues: editing with syntax highlighting, compiling, debugging, etc.
You will have to get to know most of the components in the base of eclipse, and you may discover that you need new functionality in eclipse itself, which you may have to provide patches for and present your case for including them in the base.
Your plugin itself will have to be written in Java - that is the language for writing eclipse plugins, and that is the language for programming in SWT.

The CDE newsgroup is: news://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.tools.cdt
You need to create a password to use it - this is to discourage spammers.
Try posting there to ask what is involved, and where to start.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
Carolyn

"Craig Ugoretz" <craigugoretz@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/02/2007 12:07 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list."        <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-swt-dev] Fwd: GTK

Hello again,

       Could you also comment on the compatibility between operating systems of these languages?

                         Craig