Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT-Design Decisions

What is a "binding for any GUI-Toolkit"?  Sorry for my ignorance.

At the time, I thought the SWT constant class was the right thing.  Whether it is right or not doesn't matter.  We have shipped.  The wrong thing would be to redesign it and deprecate the old way.  Since nothing can ever be deleted (deprecate is a lie), there would be 2 mechanisms for doing something for no really good reason.  The old one would simply take up space and confuse people.

Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/27/2006 11:42 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

Steve Northover schrieb:

> Hi Tom,
>
> These questions have been asked before.
>
> 1) Interfaces have various advantages and drawbacks.  Defining them for
> the purposes of Javadoc is not in keeping with the small side of the
> toolkit.  What's an "SWT-Binding writer"?

Say I sit down and write a binding for any GUI-Toolkit.

> 2) There could be abstact classes but that would introduce a layer,
> increase the size of the toolkit and make things slower, and possibly
> harder to debug and maintain.

Accepted.

> 3) The idea was to minimize the number of constants in the toolkit.
>  Read the Javadoc for class SWT.

Well I know. What I asked for is if you think it was the right choice? I
often find myself using SWT-Constants although this isn't appropriate
e.g JFaceDialog.open() == SWT.OK (it works but it's not appropriate). If
every class would have provide it's own constants I would ever had the
idea to do so.

Tom

--
B e s t S o l u t i o n . a t                        EDV Systemhaus GmbH