Re: [platform-swt-dev] readAndDispatch() and PaintEvent

It's undefined exactly when a control paints but in the case of the progress bar, you need to force them.  It is done this way on the Mac (I think).

> Swing

Cool!

"Christopher Deckers" <chrriis@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/07/2006 04:26 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-swt-dev] readAndDispatch() and PaintEvent

> However, when the selection is changed in a progress bar, it draws right away, otherwise the user would not see progress unless the event loop was running.

I do not see a problem with that. If the user clicks, nothing happens
untill the event loop is running. I think that the developer has to
make sure the event pump is running to get the events, whatever the
event type is.

Is the progress bar the only component with this behaviour? Or is it
so that any visual update of any component is synchronous? Because
with the first case, maybe I could make the methods which update the
progress to force painting synchronously right after the native
widget's method is called. (I have to investigate, but I don't know if
it is feasible yet)

>  Outstanding paint events can be forced at any time using Control.update() and Display.update().

Is it done this way in some existing ports of SWT for the progress bar?

> What platform are you porting to?

Swing

Thanks for your help!
-Christopher