[platform-swt-dev] SWT shells, windows, and composites

Is it currently possible to develop a standalone SWT application that consists of a master widget shell and many smaller free 'shell-like' windows all contained inside the display of this master so that the OS only cares about the master window and the child windows are completely managed within the master shell?

Think how Adobe Photoshop on Windows manages all the open images the user is working with.  The user is free to minimize, maximize, resize, all these image windows within the context of the single application so that there aren't a million little application windows listed on their Taskbar.

At first I thought I could make a new Shell the free moving child of a scrolled Composite widget, but it looks like the javadoc says Shell()s only come from Displays or other Shells.

Is there another way of building the interface I described above?  I'm very new to SWT and am not familiar with all the widgets and their capabilities.

<If this is the wrong mailing list to ask this question, please redirect me>

~Thanks

Back to the top