Re: [platform-swt-dev] Compiling of GCJ and SWT under MacOS X

sorry i didn't know. I thought that since this is the *developers* mailing list, that I should've gotten information from the
developer's point of view. I will do as you say though.

Thanks

On Wed Feb  9  9:27 , Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx> sent:

> [...]
>
>>I don't know the exact answer to your question, but here are a few
>>pointers:
>>
>>1. The Apple distributed gcc is modified from the standard version, so
>>the standard gnu version may not work correctly with frameworks, etc.
>>
>>2. jnilib's and dylib's are very different things. See the following
>>URL's for more information:
>>
>>http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/
>>Java14Development/Core_APIs/chapter_6_section_4.html
>>http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/
>>MachORuntime/Overview/chapter_2_section_4.html
>>
>>3. MacOSX has a library management tool called 'libtool'. You probably
>>want to take a look at the man page.
>>
>>Searching for 'java', 'jnilib' and 'dylib' on
>>http://developer.apple.com might provide you with more information.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Greg
>>
>>On Feb 9, 2005, at 1:02 AM, cyberdeth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I have downloaded gnu gcc 3.4.3 and compiled it with the following
>>> command line
>>> parameters :
>>>
>>> configure --prefix=/usr --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,objc
>>> --enable-threads=posix --enable-shared
>>>
>>> make bootstrap
>>>
>>> make install
>>>
>>> Now this compiles everything fine under MacOS X.3 using the gcc
>>> compiler that
>>> comes with the Developer Tools ie. gcc 3.3
>>>
>>> When I compile a Hello World program using gcj, like so :
>>>
>>> gcj Test.java -o Test --classpath
>>> /usr/share/java/libgcjxxx.jar:$CLASSPATH
>>> --main=Test -lgcj
>>>
>>> Then it compiles fine and the output from the program is as expected.
>>>
>>> But. When I try to link against the libswt-carbon-xxxx.jnilib all hell
>
>>> breaks loose. I
>>> have tried to make a symlink from *.jnilib to *.dylib and even to .a.
>>> When I do a file
>>> on the jnilib it says it's a bundle.
>>>
>>> I have tried to copy the jnilib files
>>> into /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Libraries and linking
>
>>> the
>>> program as follows.
>>>
>>> gcj Test.java -o Test --classpath
>>> /usr/share/java/libgcjxxx.jar:$CLASSPATH
>>> --main=Test -lgcj -framework JavaVM
>>>
>>> which fails.
>>>
>>> When I do an ld style
>>>
>>> ld Test.o -o Test -lgcj -framework JavaVM then it gives me an error
>>> that no __main is
>>> found hence the --main=Test option.
>>>
>>> when doing a gcj Test.o -o Test -lgcj libswt-carbon-xxxx.jnilib it
>>> fails as well telling
>>> me that i can't call a static link editor using a dynamic link editor
>>> or something like
>>> this. And this is where I'm struggling with.
>>>
>>> I mean if I link against any other jnilib in the JavaVM framework it
>>> compiles
>>> correctly. Maybe the jnilibs shouldn't be bundles ???
>>>

>>> My long winded questions is :
>>>
>>> 1) Is my gcc configuration flags correct ?
>>> 2) How do you compile a program natively using the