Re: [platform-swt-dev] JFace TableViewer with VIRTUAL sample

Support for Table with the style VIRTUAL is only just now being added to
JFace.   Not 100% sure of the date when full support will be in place -
you need to ask this on the eclipse.platform newsgroup.

Robert Enyedi <renyedi@xxxxxxxxx>
01/20/2005 03:54 PM
Please respond to
platform-swt-dev

platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-swt-dev] JFace TableViewer with VIRTUAL sample

Hi,

I've been extremely pleased to see the VIRTUAL flag support added for the
JFace
TableViewer starting with 3.1M3. It is very required to have well
performing
tables in JFace.

My problem is that I cannot figure out how to use this feature. Or maybe
I've
found a bug.

I created a sample view with a TableViewer in it using the Eclipse plug-in
creation wizard. In the resulting code I changed three things:

1. The TableViewer is created with the VIRTUAL flag:

new TableViewer(parent, SWT.MULTI | SWT.H_SCROLL | SWT.V_SCROLL |
SWT.VIRTUAL)

2. The view content provider's getElements() method returns an array of
100,000
Strings.

3. I removed the sorter.

While the content is created in 1-2 seconds, when the VIRTUAL flag is set,
the
display of the content takes a lot (around 1 minute). However, if the
VIRTUAL
flag is not specified, the display is much faster (but not that fast -
around
5-6 seconds).

What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't the VIRTUAL flag reduce the display
time to
around 1-2 seconds? Isn't this what it's supposed to do?

Regards,
Robert