Re: [platform-swt-dev] in a sub thread, how to call a widget of its father

Thank-you, Dan.
Please open a bug report against Platform - Doc.
Carolyn

Dan Kehn <kehn@xxxxxxxxxx>

10/21/2004 10:57 AM

Please respond to
platform-swt-dev

platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-swt-dev] in a sub thread, how to call a widget of its father

The example cited in the online documentation should add a test:

  // do time-intensive computations
 // now update the UI. We don't depend on the result,
 // so use async.
 display.asyncExec (new Runnable () {
    public void run () {

       if (myWindow.isDisposed())  // check if still around

         return;

       myWindow.redraw ();
    }
 });
 // now do more computations

In some products, I've noticed .log files littered with exceptions because the asyncExec is processed after the window has already closed.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to integrate this check into the SWT API, e.g.:

   myWindow.asyncUpdate(new Runnable...);

This in turn would check if the widget still exists before executing the runnable.

-- Dan

----- Message from "Hélène ORTIZ" <hchagnot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:37:02 +0200 (CEST) -----