RE: [platform-swt-dev] Embedding microsoft word inside an application

This is an SWT 'mailing list'. It is supposed to be used for design discussion, etc. for those who are developing SWT.
The SWT 'newsgroup' is intended for asking/answering user questions, announcements, and other communication.

The idea is that mailing lists are more disruptive to the people on them... and also, if there are too many user questions, then design discussion email gets buried.
Newsgroups really are better for question-and-answer type communication because of the threading (although I suppose some email programs handle message threading, but not mine <g>).
Please sign up to the newsgroup and you will see. (You need to sign up and create a password, to protect the newsgroup from spam: http://dev.eclipse.org/newsManager/newsRequestForm.html)

Thanks,
Carolyn

"Kalman" <kalman@xxxxxxxxx>

10/21/2004 10:44 AM

Please respond to
platform-swt-dev

<platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [platform-swt-dev] Embedding microsoft word inside an application

Carolyn,

Thanx so much for your prompt reply. I’ll take a look at the links you provided. What’s wrong with asking this question on this newsgroup though? Isn’t this an SWT newsgroup? Or did you mean that I should have asked my question on the other newsgroup ALSO?

Thanx again,

   - Kalman

Re: [platform-swt-dev] Embedding microsoft word inside an application

Hi, Kalman.

Try looking at this snippet:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.swt.snippets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet157.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

For more info, read this article:

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-ActiveX%20Support%20in%20SWT/ActiveX%20Support%20in%20SWT.html

For other examples of using the ActiveX/OLE support in SWT, see http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-swt-home/dev.html#snippets

And for a complete example of embedding IE, download the eclipse example pulg-ins (they are on the same page that you downloaded eclipse from - just scroll down a bit more), restart eclipse with the -clean parameter, and go to Window -> Show View -> Other... SWT Examples -- OLE Web Browser.

In future, please ask for help on the SWT Newsgroup: news://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.platform.swt

Good luck,

Carolyn

"Kalman" <kalman@xxxxxxxxx>

10/21/2004 09:07 AM

Please respond to
platform-swt-dev

<platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[platform-swt-dev] Embedding microsoft word inside an application

Hi, group.

I need to embed an OLE object in my application, namely a Microsoft word document. I need the user to type stuff in there and then be able to save it to the database. I would love to just simply use the Program class, but the problem with using it is that I totally lose control of what’s going on once word launches. Therefore, I guess the only way to do it is through OLE stuff.

Does anyone have a simple to follow example that works on windows XP? So, I need to have a regular Composite that say has a hyperlink that says Create Word Document, which then brings up word, allows the user to type stuff in and then saves the contents (probably as a byte array).

I heard that this behavior should be pretty straight forward with SWT, but so far have not seen any examples that actually work.

Thanx,

   - Kalman

Back to the top