Re: [platform-swt-dev] Decorations vs. Shell

It was supposed to be a placeholder for MDI.  That work never happened. The class should be "abstract" but we were unable to change it before 1.0 shipped.  Do not use it or reference it.

Knut Radloff <knut_radloff@xxxxxxxxxx>

04/05/2004 03:39 PM

Please respond to
platform-swt-dev

platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-swt-dev] Decorations vs. Shell

What is the difference between Decorations and Shell widgets? The Decorations doc says that it provides the behavior of Shells and suggests that it just can't be a top level shell. If I create a Decorations widget parented off a top level shell it behaves different, on Windows, than a Shell parented off a Shell. The Decorations "shell" can not be moved outside the parent shell. The child Shell on the other hand behaves just like a top level shell with regard to sizing and positioning.

Is the Decorations size/location behavior one of the intended differences between a Shell or is this just platform behavior and it may vary? It seems the latter is true since it is not documented.

I saw earlier comments how the Decorations class was supposed to be abstract and originally not intended to be instantiated. What was the rationale to create a top-level "shell" kind of class instead of implementing all API directly in the Shell class?

Knut

Back to the top