Re: [platform-swt-dev] Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xHEX)!

> I've seen on the Fox mailing list that you have contributed anti aliased
> text drawing using Xft. Have you compared the speed with non-aliased
> text drawing?

Yes.
Informally:

If you use Nvidia's proprietary XFree86 driver _and_ if you enable NVidia's
hardware XRENDER extension (disabled by default) there is _no_ performance
difference whatsoever between SWT/Fox performance with antialiased Xft2 vs.
XLFD core fonts.

I believe, ATI drivers also have hardware XRENDER.

However, with Xft2+XFree86 software XRENDER, Eclipse text editor is maybe
two or three times slower when repeatedly paging, compared to when compiled
with plain XLFD text rendering. Dragging editor's vertical scrollbar thumb
with the mouse is also jerky.

But for me even KDE's Konq was sort of slow when antialiased with software
XRENDER, so I don't use software XRENDER at all.

Another note: although Jeroen (of Fox) integrated my Xft2 patch, it still
has a few issues, like:
- Requiring quite recent fontconfig => not working on stock Redhat
9.0/Slackware 9.0 (I'll contribute another another small patch to fix this).
- ./configure Xft2 detection issue (will also contribute a patch).
- Only LATIN1 support for now (Jeroen was reluctant to commit my iconv based
ASCII<->Unicode conversions; so other charsets will probably be suported
post Fox 1.2.

> I'm sorry I can't help you with this. Have you tried to sniff what going

Nope.

> on with "xmon" ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/devel_tools/

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try.

Regards,
Ivan

P.S. Even with hardware XRENDER, Eclipse editor on SWT/GTK is slow so the
problem is probably not in the alpha blending speed.

Back to the top