Re: [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new widget in SWT

Having de dependency on GEF only for an overview window sounds like "using
a pestle hammer to drive in a nail"
(french translation, sorry...;-).
I don't know how GEF do the overview, but if it take a pictture, reduce it
dans display, I think this doesn't meet scalability.
Could you said more on GEF's overview, thanks ?

Eric's ScrollWidget overview (by default), display only a rectangle (the
visible area), while user let mouse button down and
drag mouse, the rectangle moves and the scroll view above follow the move
(dynamic scroll).
I said by default, because the overview draw method can be redefined by sub
classes of ScrollWidget, next generation
of Hyades sequence diagram use this feature to display main thing in
overview, helping user to scroll to new location quickly.
Why sub classe to display something interesting in overview ? ... for the
same reason user have to sub-class ScrollWidget
to redefine the draw of visible area: only user know what is the painting,
and above all only user known how optimize it's graphic
data to meet the scalability (Sequence diagram can handle around 500000
graphic objet on a sun's JDK and around 2000000
above IBM's one, take care those figure are from a rumour - corridor noise
as we said in french).

Eric could said more on this subjet (perhaps correct my point of view)...
Have nice day...

Arnaud.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           GCL Project            |
|         |           G/China/Contr/IBM@IBMCN|
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           platform-swt-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           25/02/2004 02:58       |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           platform-swt-dev       |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                     |
  |       To:       platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                        |
  |       cc:                                                                                                           |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new widget in SWT                                           |
  |                                                                                                                     |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

oh, I think you misunderstand Randy's meaning.
ScrolledComposite(in the package of
org.eclipse.swt.custom.ScrolledComposite) provides only scrolling bars,
and no overview window.
While GEF library provides a overview window..
However, your idea about the new widget seems interesting,
yet I have the same question as Randy's about the implement of the overview
functionality.

Best regards,
-----------------------
Rafael ZHANG (张世安)
GCL(Globalization Certification Laboratory), CSDL(China Software
Development Lab), IBM China
10/F, Shui On Plaza, 333 Middle Huai Hai Road, Shanghai 200021, P.R.China
TEL: (8621)63262288-5846
FAX: (8621)63261177
E-mail: gclprjg@xxxxxxxxxx

   "Arnaud De Muyser"
   <ademuyser@xxxxxxxxxx>                To:
   Sent by:                      platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   platform-swt-dev-admin@eclips         cc:
   e.org                                 Subject:        Re:
                                 [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new
                                 widget in SWT
   2004-02-25 01:32
   Please respond to
   platform-swt-dev

ScrolledComposite seems to be an interesting wheel ...
Could you said where I can help on this, I can't found anything ont it in
help contents of my eclipse 3.0.0 M7,
nor inside swt.jar package file.
The only ScrolledComposite help find is
org.eclipse.swt.custom.ScrolledComposite ones...
And this help doesn't speak about any overview this widget have...

Thanks for further informations on this, I'm sure both widgets can share
lots of things ...

Arnaud.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Randy                  |
|         |           Hudson/Raleigh/IBM@IBMU|
|         |           S                      |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           platform-swt-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           24/02/2004 17:49       |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           platform-swt-dev       |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

 |       To:       platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
 |       cc:
|
 |       Subject:  Re: [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new widget in
SWT                                           |

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Is this a case of reinventing the wheel?
@see org.eclipse.swt.widgets.ScrolledComposite

As far as "overview" window, I'd be curious to know what you are doing.  It
sounds graphical in nature, and it also sounds like it might not work on
some platforms.  If you are taking a screen-capture of the control which is
being scrolled, then that control's children may not paint correctly if
they are clippsed by the parent's client area.

GEF provides scrolling calculatings, coordinate transformation, and an
overview window.  See the GEF homepage on eclipse.org.

-randy

  "Eric Miravete"
  <eric.miravete@xxxxxxxxxx>           To:
  Sent by:                     platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
  platform-swt-dev-admin@eclip         cc:
  se.org                       platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
                               platform-swt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                       Subject:        Re:
  02/24/2004 03:40 AM          [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new
  Please respond to            widget in SWT
  platform-swt-dev

I don't know java.awt.ScrollPane but my suggestion is to have the same
thing
in SWT. I will post a request in Bugzilla.
Our widget provides some friendly services as followings:

- shows automatically  scrollbars when they are necessary.
- translates mouse coordinates in content are.
- opens an overview popup window with a button at the right, bottom corner.

to accelerate scrolling on very large content area.
- should be derived to specialize paint, mouse, keyboard event handlers.

Regards,

Eric.

_________________________________
Miravete Eric
IBM Software Group
Phone: +33 5 62 16 56 73
Fax: +33 5 62 16 ?? ??
email: eric.miravete@xxxxxxxxxx

  David Whiteman
  <dlwhiteman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>          To:
  Sent by:                       platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
  platform-swt-dev-admin@eclipse        cc:
  .org                                  Subject:        Re:
                                 [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new
                                 widget in SWT
  23/02/2004 15:15
  Please respond to
  platform-swt-dev

Monday, February 23, 2004, 6:15:26 AM, Eric Miravete wrote:

> I work in IBM/Rational. My team makes plugins under Eclipse 3.0. We
> developped a new SWT widget named Scrollview. This widget provides a
> scrolling area with on-demand scroll bars to show large content in a
view.
> This object provides protected method to dispatch paint, mouse and
> keyboard events directly in content coordinates. We suggest for the
> community to add this object in a future SWT's release. It is very useful

> to create new scrolling area and you can activate "overview"
functionality
> to accelerate scrolling on a very large content.

> A tiny documentation and the source code is attached with this email.

> Eric.

Sounds something like java.awt.ScrollPane.  What services does it
provide over using a Composite widget with its built-in scrollbars?

If you have a widget or other code you would like to contribute, the
best thing would be to create a feature request in Bugzilla and attach
your code, docs, etc. to it.

David
mailto:dlwhiteman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.platform.swt