Re: [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new widget in SWT

ScrolledComposite seems to be an interesting wheel ...
Could you said where I can help on this, I can't found anything ont it in
help contents of my eclipse 3.0.0 M7,
nor inside swt.jar package file.
The only ScrolledComposite help find is
org.eclipse.swt.custom.ScrolledComposite ones...
And this help doesn't speak about any overview this widget have...

Thanks for further informations on this, I'm sure both widgets can share
lots of things ...

Arnaud.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Randy                  |
|         |           Hudson/Raleigh/IBM@IBMU|
|         |           S                      |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           platform-swt-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           24/02/2004 17:49       |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           platform-swt-dev       |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                     |
  |       To:       platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                        |
  |       cc:                                                                                                           |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new widget in SWT                                           |
  |                                                                                                                     |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Is this a case of reinventing the wheel?
@see org.eclipse.swt.widgets.ScrolledComposite

As far as "overview" window, I'd be curious to know what you are doing.  It
sounds graphical in nature, and it also sounds like it might not work on
some platforms.  If you are taking a screen-capture of the control which is
being scrolled, then that control's children may not paint correctly if
they are clippsed by the parent's client area.

GEF provides scrolling calculatings, coordinate transformation, and an
overview window.  See the GEF homepage on eclipse.org.

-randy

   "Eric Miravete"
   <eric.miravete@xxxxxxxxxx>           To:
   Sent by:                     platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   platform-swt-dev-admin@eclip         cc:
   se.org                       platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
                                platform-swt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                        Subject:        Re:
   02/24/2004 03:40 AM          [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new
   Please respond to            widget in SWT
   platform-swt-dev

I don't know java.awt.ScrollPane but my suggestion is to have the same
thing
in SWT. I will post a request in Bugzilla.
Our widget provides some friendly services as followings:

- shows automatically  scrollbars when they are necessary.
- translates mouse coordinates in content are.
- opens an overview popup window with a button at the right, bottom corner.

 to accelerate scrolling on very large content area.
- should be derived to specialize paint, mouse, keyboard event handlers.

Regards,

Eric.

_________________________________
Miravete Eric
IBM Software Group
Phone: +33 5 62 16 56 73
Fax: +33 5 62 16 ?? ??
email: eric.miravete@xxxxxxxxxx

   David Whiteman
   <dlwhiteman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>          To:
   Sent by:                       platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   platform-swt-dev-admin@eclipse        cc:
   .org                                  Subject:        Re:
                                  [platform-swt-dev] Suggest to add a new
                                  widget in SWT
   23/02/2004 15:15
   Please respond to
   platform-swt-dev

Monday, February 23, 2004, 6:15:26 AM, Eric Miravete wrote:

> I work in IBM/Rational. My team makes plugins under Eclipse 3.0. We
> developped a new SWT widget named Scrollview. This widget provides a
> scrolling area with on-demand scroll bars to show large content in a
view.
> This object provides protected method to dispatch paint, mouse and
> keyboard events directly in content coordinates. We suggest for the
> community to add this object in a future SWT's release. It is very useful

> to create new scrolling area and you can activate "overview"
functionality
> to accelerate scrolling on a very large content.

> A tiny documentation and the source code is attached with this email.

> Eric.

Sounds something like java.awt.ScrollPane.  What services does it
provide over using a Composite widget with its built-in scrollbars?

If you have a widget or other code you would like to contribute, the
best thing would be to create a feature request in Bugzilla and attach
your code, docs, etc. to it.

David
mailto:dlwhiteman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.platform.swt