[platform-swt-dev] Bidi on XP

Title: Bidi on XP

I was navigating through the source code of StyledText trying to understand how it works.
I realized that there is a partial support for bidirectional editing.

It is said in the source code that Bidi is enabled only on a few Windows platform.
It does not works well on standard Windows XP which have multilingual extension activated (Chinese, Arabic, ...)

In the BidiUtil.isBidiPlatform() there is a comment that I surprised me :

        // The following test is a workaround for bug report 27629. On WinXP,
        // both bidi and complex script (e.g., Thai) languages must be installed
        // at the same time.  Since the bidi platform calls do not support
        // double byte characters, there is no way to run Eclipse using the
        // complex script languages on XP, so constrain this test to answer true
        // only if a bidi input language is defined.  Doing so will allow complex
        // script languages to work (e.g., one can install bidi and complex script
        // languages, but only install the Thai keyboard).

Why "bidi platform calls do not support double byte characters".
I thought all the Windows APIs where available in Unicode.

Does someone has knowledge on this subject?
Where does this limitation comes from?

I tested forcing the BidiUtil.isBidiPlatform() to return 'true'. It works well for arabic (the letter where in the correct

order) but chinese characteres were corrupted.

Emmanuel Castro

 ATTENTION Le message contenu dans cet email ainsi que dans tout fichier attaché est destiné exclusivement aux personnes dont le nom figure ci-dessus. Il peut contenir des informations confidentielles ou protégées par le secret professionnel et dont la divulgation est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu cet email par erreur,détruisez-en le contenu. Vous n'êtes pas autorisé, dans cette hypothèse, à copier, distribuer ou conserver ce message. Merci.

WARNING This information in this mail and in any attachments is intended for the above-mentioned addressees only. It may contain privileged or confidential informationthe review, dissemination or disclosure of which is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by error, please destroy it. In this case, you are not authorisedto disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it. Thank you.

Back to the top