Re: [platform-swt-dev] JNLP for SWT (was re: Can an SWT applet be created?)

In the SWT FAQ:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-swt-home/faq.html#othersources

we reference Jeff Gunther's web site on how to "Deploy an SWT application
using Java Web Start"
        http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-jws/

Jim White <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
09/23/2003 09:58 PM
Please respond to platform-swt-dev

        To:     platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        [platform-swt-dev] JNLP for SWT (was re: Can an
SWT applet be created?)

Brad O'Hearne wrote:
> I basically want to use SWT in place of Swing in an applet.  Can this be
> done?  Or alternatively, is there a way to deliver an SWT control via
the
> browser?

That would require a means to plug-in SWT's native code into the
browser.  Obviously that would be quite browser+platform specific.
Clearly a case where a pure Java implementation of SWT would be
beneficial.

A more practical approach would be to create a JNLP (Java Web Start)
application as that does support deploying native code and can usually
be launched from a browser.  It would be very helpful if the Eclipse/SWT
site provided an example for this (if it does not already do so).

http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/

Jim
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams