Re: [platform-swt-dev] drag and drop between SWT and MFC application

From: "GU,JAMES (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <james.gu@xxxxxx>
> It is odd indeed, but that's what I heard from my manager who was told so
by
> the lawyer. We might have to drop SWT in out product should it be the
case.

Dave Orme's response should be helpful. Also it occurs to me you want to be
sure the lawyer wasn't talking about the GPL instead of the CPL. ;-}

Most companies involved with Eclipse are not interpreting the CPL as a
scheme to rob users of their intellectual property. Note that IBM is an
Eclipse user (it is the base of its WSAD products, and probably will be used
in many more after the 3.0 release succeeds in generalizing the framework).
Ask your lawyer to read the WSAD license and see how much of IBM's
intellectual property has been swallowed up by the CPL.

That said, different lawyers may interpret the CPL differently, and if your
company lawyer thinks there is a problem, you may have to live with it.
IBM's lawyers didn't help matters by leaving it vague (even recursively
defined) how one might run afoul of the "derivative work" bugaboo and find
oneself a Contributor of more than was intended.

I will tell you straight out that most people are acting as though they
interpret the CPL narrowly, i.e., anything that isn't clearly a contribution
(previously CPL-licensed software, newly CPL-licensed software or direct
modifications of same) is not a contribution. But don't take that as legal
advice.

Bob Foster

Back to the top