RE: [platform-swt-dev] JFace and SWT organizational question

Ed,

Yes, a separate JFace is technically feasible and sound.  The only
sticking point currently is its dependencies on the utility classes in
org.eclipse.core.runtime.  We've been careful since R1.0 to avoid
introducing dependencies from JFace to org.eclipse.core.resources, or to
the rest of the UI (other than SWT, of course).

However, we cannot currently commit to a separate JFace component.  We're
still debating whether to keep JFace as a separate component, or to fold
it into the lower level of the Rich Client Platform (bugzilla 36967).
Since people have already built apps on top of SWT+JFace (and excluding
the rest of the Eclipse runtime), we're tending towards leaving it pretty
much as is, but cleaning up the dependencies, e.g. by moving the utility
classes in org.eclipse.core.runtime into a separate jar.  The exact shape
of this has not yet been decided, but the design will be firmed up by
Milestone 2 (July 18).  Even if we do make JFace a separable plugin, e.g.
by moving the utility classes in org.eclipse.core.runtime into a separate
jar, the emphasis of the Eclipse platform will still be as a tooling
platform, so there may be a limit to how much support we can extend to
those using JFace separately from the rest of the platform.  Again, these
details will be sorted out by Milestone 2.

If you have any further thoughts on this matter, please append to bugzilla
36967.

Regards,
Nick

"Ed Burnette" <Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx>