[platform-swt-dev] Implementation of Graphics2D based on OpenGL

Dear SWT developers,

I read with interest the threads on SWT port for Swing and believe that
sooner or later, some applications will need to mix components from both
worlds.

On the other side of mixing SWT and Swing, I would like to point out the
partial implementation of the Java2D interface in OpenGL called Agile2D.
 Creating an AWT compatible component under AWT requires implementing
the Graphics2D functions and managing events the AWT way so Agile2D is
just a small part of the big work required.

The original Agile2D site is http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/agile2d/index.shtml
I also keep a more up-to-date site with experimental extensions at:
http://www.lri.fr/~fekete/agile2d/

This implementation currently relies on some existing Graphics2D
internal implementations for managing images and fonts, but most of the
Graphics2D rendering functions are implemented on top of OpenGL.

I started to look at the current implementation of the OpenGL binding
for SWT and found it interesting but missing lots of important features,
such as querying for a specific configuration when creating OpenGL
buffers (# of stencil bits, depth buffer, etc.)

I cannot invest the time required to implement the full support of AWT
under SWT but if someone feels like following the AWT compatibility
path, I would be happy to help as much as possible.

--
 Jean-Daniel Fekete      Jean-Daniel.Fekete@xxxxxxxx
 INRIA Futurs, LRI               tel: +33 1 69156623

Back to the top