Re: [platform-swt-dev] MacOS X support in 3.0

May I interject?

I've been using Eclipse now for about a year and on the three major platforms (Win, Linux, OS X). It is really great to see such support for OS X and to get Eclipse on OS X supporting the functionality it currently does, but the biggest problem I have is still with performance.

In my opinion, I'm more than happy to sacrifice some of the more esoteric features of Eclipse 3.0 if there is a chance to devote some developer's time to addressing performance issues. If our feature-set is not synonymous with that of 3.0 on other platforms, then that is something I can personally grin and bear.

Now, I understand that, generally, us Apple'ers have lesser-powered hardware that our sibling platforms, but there are elements of Eclipse that just shouldn't be that sluggish (and I'm working on a 12" 876MHz G4 Powerbook with 640MB of RAM).

Specifically, I'm thinking of: startup time, opening files, changing between file tabs, code suggestion (apple+space) - from the top of my head.

The work everyone has done to date is amazing and keeps the platform viable for development, but what I am essentially wondering is if there is any remit in the product roadmap to address performance and optimisation?

Thanks all! Keep up the good work!

CraigP