RE: [platform-swt-dev] Support for JSR-198 (was SWT port for Swing!)

Please remember, Bob, Swing is horrible on so many levels.  The largest
of which is that it is bloatware because it tried to be not only a
quasi-MVC GUI library (AWT done right) but also a themable, flavourable,
pluggable thing with so many layers.  The latter goal, and a kind of
strange MVC notion meant that it ended up being slow, bad to code for
(XMLTalk and other such things improve that, but could do that for
SWT+Component-layer), slow, needlessly freaky about gui theming, and
slow.

A pure Java solution, with a simple and elegant base-line widget kit
that would be source-compatible with all the native equivalents would be
quite helpful, in my view.

The "why don't they just go use Swing" assumes that if cross-platform is
the goal, Swing is the answer.  Swing is not the answer if I can get
something better aside from considerations of platform.

My understanding of the goals of SWT were to provide a "fast" and
"simple widget model".  That can't be entirely accomplished with a
pure-java approach in all cases, but a "pretty-fast" and "simple" can be
accomplished and add the "portable" check-box can also be checked.

Regards,
Christian.

Back to the top