Re: [platform-swt-dev] Support for JSR-198 (was SWT port for Swing!)

From: "Jim White" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > At any rate, at the strategy level I agree that A is a big missing
piece. I
> > don't agree that B is required at any level.
>
> Are you serious?  B is required for any SWT application that must be
> deployed in a 100% Pure Java environment.

Yes. And ho hum.

> If SWT supported pure Java deployment, far more potential users would be
> willing to try it out.  With SWT's current take-it-or-leave-it approach,
> the vast majority of Java users will simply leave it.

They will leave it, anyway, once they realize it doesn't give them what
native SWT does. If SWT is as non-native as Swing and not much faster, why
wouldn't a "100% pure" Java developer just use Swing?

> To elaborate a little on this point, consider a developer who is willing
> to push the envelope to get a better GUI and so wants to use SWT.  But
> beyond the developer there is a whole chain of decision makers on out to
> the customer who may not be quite so willing to take the same sort of
> risks on SWT native code and the attendant product lifetime support
> viability and cost.
>
> If the developer can say "but the SWT native code is optional, we have a
> 100% Pure Java option" then he may at least get the chance to be an
> early adopter of SWT.  And without early adopters, there will never be a
> mainstream.

SWT has plenty of early adopters already.

> Here's another example: B is painless way to make Eclipse IDE components
> be JSR-198 compatible.

JSR 198 is a political maneuver designed, in part, to blunt the effect of
Eclipse in the tools marketplace. Anything done under this banner is
busywork to please the pointy-haired bosses.

Bob
.
> Jim

Back to the top