RE: [platform-swt-dev] SWT port for Swing!

Hi Dave,

For now, my port is so that you will be able to add some swing
components in your SWT application. But I also think about ways to
import SWT components into Swing. I have some ideas already :)

Actually, I have made also two side projects: a loader that selects
automatically the appropriate library at startup of your SWT application
(and in case of several themes, asks the user). This works for Windows,
but not for Linux (I don't know why, but it may be easy to fix anyway).
This removes the need to ship a separate version of the product that
contains the appropriate library. The second one is a kind of WebStart
enhancer that make it possible to deploy an SWT applications using
WebStart AND my loader. I will made them available as soon as the few
last bugs are fixed. But that will be fixed when I will have time, and
the Swing port takes it all...

At the end, I hope to succeed and bring full portability to Java SWT
applications :)

Best Regards,
-Christopher

So does your SWT port make it possible to mix Swing and SWT components
in the same Composite?  So, for example, using your port my application
would be able to use components from the JClass suite right alongside
the SWT ones?  (Of course, this breaks portability of the app back to
pure SWT platforms, so one would only do this after careful
consideration...)

If this is true, this is an interesting idea in the sense that it makes
components written for SWT work under both SWT and Swing although the
reverse wouldn't be true.

Back to the top